Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Determined

I'm going to do a real post. Not pictures. Not telling you that I'm too tired or busy to write anything!!
Last night I gave Owen formula. That's right. Formula. He's still alive. It's not poison. Let me tell you what led us to this.
During the week, I'm on my own when it comes to night feeding and diaper changes. Owen will go to bed around 10 or so and sleep for the next 4 hours. Then he wakes up for a bottle and new diaper. But he doesn't go back to sleep. He will fall asleep and as soon as I put him down he's awake and ready to party some more. So most days, I'm running on about 4 hours of sleep. Suckfest. That means that during daylight hours, the last thing I want to do is housework. I have a load of laundry that's been sitting in my room, waiting to be folded for a week!!
Ok...back to the reason. My mom went to a family reunion last weekend and talked to her sister in law. Karen told my mom that when she was nursing her boys, she would give them a bottle of formula at night so they would sleep longer. Mom passed that pearl of wisdom onto me. I gave it a shot. Owen slept!!
I woke up at midnight to pump. Owen woke up at one to eat. So I gave him formula. I told him how sorry I was and gave him extra kisses. He so didn't care. He was just happy that there was something coming out of his bottle! :) Then he went right to sleep when I put him down. Here's the best part..are you ready for it??
He didn't wake up again until 4:50 am!! I got up around 4 to pump again but all was quiet from his room!! YAY! Mommy got some sleep!!!
Ian's mad about this of course. He is convinced that I am going to stop giving Owen breast milk. And already gripping about how much money it's going to cost him to buy formula. Well, you know what, when Ian is getting up for every single feeding then maybe he will understand how tired I am. And I don't have a problem buying formula to give Owen one bottle a night. Especially when that means I'm a happy momma and wife instead of a very grumpy tired momma and wife.
Ok, Owen has had enough of this blogging stuff...
Time to strap him on to me and do some housework!

No comments:

Post a Comment